The Salem Web Network (SWN) is seeking an online editor and website manager in our Richmond, VA office.
Assistant Editor, News and Culture
Director of Editorial and Brand Development, Salem Web Network
The assistant editor will be responsible for producing and managing news and trending cultural content for several of Salem Web Network’s (SWN) editorial websites. Focusing on ChristianHeadlines.com, ReligionToday.com and Crosswalk.com, we are looking for an editor willing to take on the challenge of bringing our daily news coverage to the next level of success. The right candidate will be excited by the idea of delivering the highest quality news and content to a Christian audience and will be looking for innovative ways to improve the audience experience with ChristianHeadlines.com in particular.
As an assistant editor, you will direct the selection of appropriate content for inclusion on the websites as well as write, edit and post text articles. You will assist in the production of online video interviews. You will manage a news blog and a cultural trends blog. Daily duties will include news writing, interfacing with freelancers and other content providers, formatting and uploading articles, and helping to collect and edit material for our online publications and email newsletters. You will become a contributor to the vision and development of SWN websites.
The ideal candidate:
- Will have a bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or Communications (or equivalent experience) with 1-2 years of experience in a related editorial field.
- Must be a self-starter, highly organized and detail-oriented with experience managing large editorial or web projects.
- Must have solid writing and editing skills, and experience writing on deadline.
- Will display a strong work ethic and operate productively in a team environment.
- Must demonstrate editorial innovation and creativity.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of our evangelical Christian audience members’ interests, behavior, and core values.
- Must be conversant in socio-cultural issues impacting the Christian Church.
- Will display an ability to interact with both corporate and religious communities.
- Will show a general understanding of Microsoft Office applications, social media websites and general internet practices.
- Experience conducting interviews on camera a plus.
We offer a competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience.
- This is an editorial position, not a technical one although some basic technical training on our content management and operational systems will be part of the job.
- This position is located in our downtown Richmond, Virginia office and telecommuting will not be an option.
The SWN websites exist to offer the freshest and most compelling biblically-based content to Christians who take seriously their relationship with Jesus Christ. We work hard to provide timely, relevant, life-enhancing material from qualified, respected Christian sources, with an understanding that the Christian faith applies to all areas of life. The SWN editorial team manages content for the following online brands:
ReligionToday.com (soon to become ChristianHeadlines.com) gathers news headlines important to Christians as well as featuring reporting and commentary on current events from a Christian worldview perspective.
Crosswalk.com offers content that helps Christians apply their faith to the daily issues they face in their church, family, community and culture.
BibleStudyTools.com offers the highest quality features and resources to aid Christians in a better practical understanding of the Bible.
iBelieve.com provides an emphasis on personal, faith-filled experiences, publishing an authentic examination of what it means to be a Christian woman in today's culture. Drawn from a unique team of Christian women writers looking to share how they see the struggles and triumphs of life through the lens of the Christian faith.
Christianity.com provides content that holds a high standard of Christian orthodoxy in the discussion of theology, apologetics and the essential principles of the Christian faith.
Jesus.org creates a thorough set of resources in a question and answer format for those seeking information about the historical life of Jesus Christ and His place in our lives today.
Content created by the SWN editorial team is syndicated to the Salem Communications “faith talk” and “fish format” radio station websites.
Salem Web Network is a division of Salem Communications, the nation’s largest Christian media company. As the leading provider of Christian and family-friendly content on the Internet, SWN operates over 50 websites.
Salem Communications is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Video ProducerChurch Initiative
- Wake Forest, North Carolina
- September 23
Gift Planning AdministratorNational Christian Foundation
- Alpharetta, Georgia
- September 21
Morning Star Church - FilmmakerVanderbloemen Search Group
- Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
- September 21
Institutional ResearchSUM Bible College & Theological Seminary
- Oakland, California
- September 15
Residential Counselor for Struggling TeensHeartlight Ministries
- Hallsville, Texas
- September 15
Salem Web Network
Salem Web Network is a wholly owned subsidiary of Salem Communications Corporation. Salem's core business is the ownership and operation of religious and family themed radio stations in large metropolitan markets. SWN's network of sites includes Crosswalk.com, Oneplace.com, Crosscards.com, and SermonSearch.com - with each serving as an extension of the company's core radio broadcasting business. Salem Web Network provides a casual, friendly atmosphere, with competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental More...