Receives direction and responsibilities from the Grounds Manager and participates in a range of grounds maintenance practices to ensure that our guests are exposed to attractive natural settings, beautiful garden displays and park settings, as well as educational
This position is overseen by the Grounds Manager and Administration. This position also communicates with Staff, Volunteers, and the General Public. This position has staff supervising responsibilities.
Duties & responsibilities
- Receives instructions and work assignments from the Grounds Manager and coordinates with staff and volunteer groups.
- Oversees and assists other groundskeepers and volunteers in accomplishment of assignments and problem solving to ensure completion.
- Keeps parking lot, walks and driveway clear of debris and litter.
- Uses mowers to cut turf areas; performs minor repair and adjustment of equipment.
- Plants, transplants, cultivates, irrigates, and sprays ornamental plants, shrubs, hedges, trees, and flowers
- Maintains lake gardens, including the lake itself
- Maintains proper records of all the aforementioned items.
- Fertilizes, irrigates and cares for all turf areas.
- Trims trees, hedges, and shrubs; prepares and treats soil for planting annual color.
- Assist in keeping gardens in balance with regards to insect and disease problems, seasonal mulching and dyeing of garden areas, fall leaf removal.
- Trash removal.
- Install drain tile.
- Install stone walls and patios; make repairs to asphalt and concrete; painting of outside structures.
- Operates small and medium size trucks and trailers.
- Operates power equipment such as bobcat, tractor, mowers, chainsaws, weed eater, blowers etc., operates hand tools such as pruners hand saw, hammer, shovels, rakes, pitch forks etc.
- Perform snow removal duties which may require unusual hours.
- Follow standard operating procedures for all tasks.
- Groundskeeper may work alone or as a member of a crew, and is required to use appropriate safety procedures and appropriate equipment to complete assigned duties.
- Performs related duties as assigned
Knowledge and Abilities
Knowledge of: standard horticultural and grounds keeping practices; the use and maintenance of grounds keeping tools and equipment.
Ability to: direct and monitor the work of staff and volunteers; perform general gardening and grounds keeping work; use and maintain tools and equipment; communicate with the Museum guests on facility information,
vendors, and contractors, follow written and verbal instructions; perform heavy manual labor; plan and perform basic landscaping functions; learn specialized procedures related to irrigation systems, lake management, equipment, landscaping, pesticide applications,
Training and Experience
- Five years’ experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities to supervise staff and perform stated duties and responsibilities.
- Driver’s license and DOT medical card required.
- Pesticide certification a plus.
This position will require lifting 50-80 pound objects; frequent bending, walking, and standing; exposure to a variety of weather conditions for extended periods of time; exposure to chemicals which may present health hazards if not handled properly; exposure
to dangerous power and hand equipment if not used properly.
Items needed for possible employment
- How you heard about this position
- Salary Requirements
- Salvation Testimony
- Creation Belief Statement
- Confirmation of your agreement with the AiG Statement of Faith as found on our website at
Please send, with cover letter, to: HR Department c/o Amanda Gall at