Organization Mission Statement:
Hope for Youth builds and maintains ongoing Christian mentoring relationships with urban youth to challenge and enable them to reach their full potential spiritually, academically, and socially.
The Hope for Youth Program Coordinator will coordinate the program activities/operations of the ministry. The Program Coordinator reports to the Program Director and is a salaried, full-time position.
I. In Volunteer Coordination and Management, the program coordinator will:
- Be responsible for all aspects of volunteer recruitment, training/development, deployment, and retention.
- Serve as a resource person for program information/volunteer opportunities to the larger community.
- In conjunction with Program Director, define and manage job assignments/volunteer roles for program activities.
- Analyze volunteer skills and interests in order to properly fill required needs within Hope For Youth.
- Aid in planning/executing volunteer activities that aim to recruit future Hope For Youth volunteers from churches, universities, small groups, etc.
- Aid in planning/executing volunteer activities that aim to develop (i.e. volunteer trainings) and retain Hope For Youth volunteers.
- Perform background checks, as well as maintain accurate volunteer records (e.g. profile information, needed forms, attendance, etc.)
- Assist in keeping volunteers informed about Hope For Youth activities and important information.
- Help enforce rules and policies related to volunteer roles and conduct.
- Keep volunteers informed about upcoming events and opportunities, as well as the happenings of the ministry.
II. In Programming, the program coordinator will:
- Support the planning and implementation of the program goals to fulfill the mission of Hope For Youth.
- Assist in networking with other organizations and churches to host Hope For Youth activities.
- Assist in the development of long and short range program plans.
- Help research and build up curriculum for various programs.
- Be responsible for ongoing execution of at least one program (e.g. mentorship/hope for life/etc.).
- Be responsible for at least one specific area of large-group activities (e.g. registration, food, logistics, etc.).
- Assist in coordinating transportation for students to attend each Hope For Youth event.
- Keep Hope For Youth program calendar and related schedules up to date.
III. In Student Relations, the program coordinator will:
- Be responsible for maintaining accurate student records (e.g. demographics, attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Help keep communication constant between Hope For Youth and Star of Hope Mission.
- Inform students and their parents about Hope For Youth events.
- Help develop strategies to build and maintain Hope For Youth students, as well as reach out to community students.
- Invest in the lives of students both inside and outside Hope For Youth.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Familiarity with Urban Youth Ministry
- Understanding about urban adolescent issues and their culture
- Experiences that involve working with teenagers in a parachurch or church setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- General computer skills and knowledge in word processing, desktop publishing, social media and database maintenance
- Passion and drive to work with at-risk teenagers from all over Houston
- Strong initiative and motivation (i.e. ability to work with minimal supervision)
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable
- Good decision-making skills
- Ability to guide and correct students when needed
- Quick learner