SUM Bible College and Theological Seminary (SUM) equips indigenous leaders from America and the nations of the world by offering an affordable theological education combining academic instruction with practical hands on ministry and personal mentorship. Our mission empowers these leaders to be instruments of change in their respective communities.
Empowering Leaders for the Fivefold Ministry
SUM is accredited with Association of Biblical Higher Education (ABHE). All SUM faculty and staff members are expected to be committed to Jesus Christ, to SUM’s vision, purpose and values and to affirm the SUM’s Statement of Faith, all of which can be found on the SUM’s website at www.sum.edu.
Job Type: Full-Time
Denomination: Assembly of God
Location: Oakland, CA
Salary :The base salary is $42,000, but will increase with the scope of the program.
Benefits: Up to $500 medical insurance, or Kaiser HSA.
Start Date: August, 2013
SUM will soon launch its proven, accredited ministry training program in the Spanish Language, is now receiving applications for the position of Director of Spanish Medium Education (DSME). The successful candidate will lead SUM’s effort to offer fully accredited degrees in Biblical Studies and Christian Leadership in the Spanish language. This effort will begin in the United States and then spreads to distance education centers throughout the world. Under the supervision of the Director of International Relations (DIR), the DSME will fully oversee and administrate the program, ensure its quality, academic rigor and accreditation, hold true to SUM vision and doctrinal standards.
The Director of Spanish Medium Education (DSME) serves under the direct supervision of the Director of International Relations (DIR). While ultimately answering to the DIR, however, the duties of the DSME intersect with various other departments within SUM, particularly the Academic Department, and these duties will need to be performed in line with the policies and procedures of those departments. The DSME will also need to interact with various outside stakeholders, such as the Spanish Education committee. The DSME will have the following responsibilities:
- Provide overall oversight and direction to the program, in collaboration with the Chief Academic Officer (CAO).
- Remain fully informed of all requirements needed to maintain the accreditation of the Spanish Medium program with ABHE, and any other agency with which SUM may obtain accreditation in future.
- Take the lead in assuring that such accreditation requirements are met, in collaboration with the CAO and Director of Institutional Research.
- Teach at least two classes in Spanish online per trimester as needed, primarily in the categories of Biblical Studies and Systematic Theology.
- Take the lead in selecting textbooks and other materials to be used in the program, in line with the vision, goals and doctrinal standards of SUM, in collaboration with the Spanish Education committee and other interested parties.
- Research and develop means to provide quality online library resources to SUM students studying via Distance Education in the Spanish Medium, in collaboration with the Librarian.
- Assist the DIR in locating quality faculty who can teach effectively in the Spanish Medium in line with the vision, goals and doctrinal standards of SUM.
- Serve as the Faculty Chair over Spanish Medium Education, supervising and overseeing Spanish Medium faculty, and ensuring their commitment to the vision, goals, policies and doctrinal standards of SUM.
- Ensure that the standard assessment methods and systems set in place by the CAO and the policies of the Academic Handbook and Faculty Handbook are carried out consistently throughout the Spanish Medium program.
- Develop new methods of assessment and quality control appropriate to the Spanish Medium program.
- Assist the DIR in class scheduling and strategic planning, in collaboration with the Spanish Education committee. Participate in curriculum development among the overall SUM faculty. Take the lead in those areas of curriculum development, such as the general education language arts and foreign language requirements, that particularly pertain to Spanish Medium Education, while maintaining the equivalency of the Spanish Medium program to the overall SUM curriculum.
- Ensure that the Student Ministry and Student Life programs and requirements are being carried out for Spanish speaking students at the various SUM cohort sites, and provide oversight for these programs for Spanish speaking students, in collaboration with the Dean of Student Ministry and Dean of Student Life.
- Read and analyze the incoming application materials of Spanish speaking students in accordance with SUM admissions policies and requirements, and coordinate the admissions process with the Admissions Administrator.
- Develop, in collaboration with the Admissions Office, new polices, forms and procedures appropriate to the Spanish Medium Education program.
- Provide guidance for Spanish speaking students through the admissions process, as well as for other stakeholders such as pastors, references, and educational institutions from which transcripts are being received. Delegate as much of this role to Spanish speaking cohort advisors as is possible.
- Ensure that interviews for incoming Spanish students are conducted in accordance with SUM policies, procedures and goals.
- Assist the CAO and Registrar in insuring that all Spanish Medium courses are properly scheduled, assigned, and entered into the ABHE Solutions Software.
- Provide all aid needed by the Registrar and/or Admissions Administrator in analyzing, verifying and interpreting Spanish language transcripts, particularly from foreign countries. Contact and communicate with such institutions as necessary.
- Perform basic registration functions in compliance with procedures developed by the Registrar.
- Serve as the liaison of the DIR by Coordinating all meetings, activities and policies of the Spanish Education committee.
- Verify all translated materials for correctness, legal and policy accuracy, and consistency with SUM’s vision, goals and doctrinal standards.
- Provide customer support for all Spanish speaking students contacting SUM.
- Coordinate the production of all Spanish language marketing materials and the Spanish language website with the Marketing Department and Spanish language committee, under the supervision of the DIR.
- Prepare quarterly status and development report in time for quarterly board meetings.
- Perform any other duties that may be added from time to time.
Job Requirements & Qualifications
- Strong growing faith and testimony in Jesus Christ and His Word
- Commitment to the vision, mission, goals, values and doctrinal standards of SUM
- At least a Master’s degree or higher from a school with an accreditation recognized by SUM, with at least 18 hours of Masters level or greater educational expertise in the field of Biblical Studies, and at least 15 hours of Masters level or greater educational expertise in Systematic Theology
- Strong understanding of academic systems, requirements and culture
- Ability to teach competently and effectively in academic Spanish
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Ability to connect to and relate with the wider Latino community
- Willingness to travel if necessary
- Ability to create quality quarterly reports and presentations
- Ability to coordinate and delegate among various stakeholders
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Customer ServicePrivate Profile
- Stafford, Virginia
- December 9
Accounts Payable & Finance ClerkCityteam
- San Jose, California
- December 7
Needs ProcessorSamaritan Ministries International
- Peoria, Illinois
- December 7
Administrative Manager/Office ManagerNorthEast of the Well
- Santa Ana, California
- December 5
Business Teachers in Asia (No Teaching Experience Required)Academics In Asia
- China, China
- December 2
SUM Bible College & Theological Seminary
The SUM is a Christian College equipping the next generation of urban leaders. The racial diversity of our faculty and students provide a rich and unique learning environment. We offer an affordable theological education combining academic instruction with practical hands on ministry and personal mentorship. Our mission is to empower leaders to be instruments of change in their given communities. Our college is committed to proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ and making disciples. SUM is accredited with Association of Biblical Higher More...