SUM Bible College and Theological Seminary equips indigenous leaders from America and the nations of the world by offering an affordable theological education combining academic instruction with practical hands on ministry with personal mentorship. Our
mission empowers these leaders to be instruments of change in their respective communities.
SUM is accredited with Association of Biblical Higher Education (ABHE).
All SUM faculty and staff members are expected to be committed to Jesus Christ, to SUM’s vision, purpose and values and to affirm the SUM’s Statement of Faith, all of which can be found on the SUM’s website at
Assembly of God
Up to $500 medical insurance, or Kaiser HSA
July 1, 2013
Library Mission Statement
The mission of the SUM Libraries is to support the purpose and goals of the school by acting as the primary provider of relevant educational resources in print and electronically to all students and faculties of SUM. The major operational objective of the
library is to acquire and organize information in various forms that support the overall curriculum and mission of SUM.
Head Librarian Responsibilities
The Librarian should possess a Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution with a minimum of two years professional experience. He/She must demonstrate the ability to select, train and supervise qualified subordinates. He/She must
have good organizational and problem solving skills; ability to exercise sound judgment in applying and interpreting library policy and procedures; ability to use a variety of software applications and to maintain awareness of new and changing technology;
ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. The Librarian must also demonstrate evidence of self-motivation, service-orientation and ability to work successfully in a collegiate environment. The Librarian must adheres with SUM’s Mission, Core
Values and Statement of Faith as stated in the employee handbook.
- Attends faculty meetings and departmental meetings as needed.
- Assists in the planning of new library facilities and/or revision of existing facilities.
- Provides supervision, evaluation and training of all library staff.
- Gives input in formulating the annual library budget.
- Directs the acquisition, processing, cataloging, and maintenance of the library collection.
- Prepares annual statistics and reports as needed.
- Prepares annual library needs assessment.
- Serves as a resource person to faculty, students, and administration.
- Maintains positive public relations.
- Submits written reports to appropriate administrative personnel.
- Assists in the development and implementation of new workshops and
- programs that enhance library instruction of students and faculty.
- Develops a library committee and holds regularly scheduled meetings.
- Oversees an annual survey of students and faculty regarding library use and effectiveness.
- Develops cooperative relationships with other institutions and networks with other librarians in similar collegiate libraries.
Job requirements & qualifications (KSA’s) (Knowledge, skill & ability)
- Advanced knowledge of the principles and practices of providing distance education library support services
- Ability to develop and interpret policies and procedures
- Ability to create programs and manage budgets and personnel
- Knowledge and ability to use library information systems and online information retrieval systems
- Knowledge of instructional and curricular design
- Excellent presentation and instruction skills
- Knowledge of web development and maintenance
- Knowledge of assessment and competence in producing assessment progress reports.
- ALA accredited M.L.S. Degree (or equivalent)
- Customer service orientation
- At least 2-3 years’ experience in an academic library setting
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of current library practices
- Ability to work both cooperatively and independently and to maintain effective working relationships
- Experience with and knowledge of intellectual property and copyright laws as they pertain to distance education