Food for Orphans is growing at jet-speed and needs someone qualified to utilize our name, reputation, and mission ... and propel us into the future at warp-speed.
The Director of Development (DD) is responsible for the strategic direction, development, organization, promotion, implementation, expansion and assessment of all philanthropic vehicles to increase financial support and organizational awareness of Food for Orphans. He/she manages all aspects of the organization’s fundraising plans, including major gifts, annual giving, corporate/foundation relations, grants, sponsorships, planned giving, and special events and shares responsibility with the President for stewarding key philanthropic relationships. This position works closely with other Food for Orphans staff members to ensure the effective design, development, and implementation of the communications and public relations programs to build awareness of Food for Orphans and our leadership in the charitable orphan care world.
Reporting to the President, the DD serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Food for Orphans. In partnership with the President, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The DD will help forge new relationships to build Food for Orphans’ visibility, impact, and financial resources. The DD also will design, implement, and regularly report on the activity of a comprehensive plan for developing various key external alliances by cultivating individual, corporate, and overall philanthropic support.
The DD will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $2M income through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and individual, corporate, and foundation support.
The DD will expand and diversify Food for Orphans’ donor base and work closely with other team members to secure funding through new initiatives. In addition, the DD will work with the board of directors, as-well-as lead and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by the DD and Food for Orphans will increase in future years as the DD systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity and activity.
Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Experience: Five to seven years of successful professional development department experience with increasing responsibility in high performing development operations; demonstrated experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time.
Knowledge: Demonstrated knowledge of development systems and an ability to manage and track progress according to success indicators. Broad understanding of all components of development, with demonstrated success in cultivating relationships at every phase of the donor engagement pipeline.
Skills: Demonstrated public speaking, presentation and written communication skills; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships; ability to design, implement and direct fundraising initiatives and achieve goals; strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Support and partner with the President, staff, and board members on all major fundraising initiatives.
- Collaborate with the President to develop and implement Food for Orphans’ fundraising strategies.
- Actively work with the President and staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government grants, major gifts, on-going campaigns, events, relationships,etc.
- Be responsible for the development and growth of a major gifts program, including personally identifying, cultivating, and soliciting prospects for major gifts.
- Identify, solicit, and cultivate prospective corporate, foundation, and individual donors and/or other high-profile relationships.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach.
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position Food for Orphans ahead of major funding changes or trends.
- Identify, seek out, engage, and monitor all major donor and corporate donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders.
- Oversee all development-related communications including but not limited to: proposals, the annual report, brochures, donor correspondence, newsletters and the development portion of the website.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program.
- Identify, develop, and mentor the development team.
- Raise financial support for the programs and operations of Food for Orphans.
- Through personal endeavors raise a set amount of donations as laid out by the President.
- Perform all other duties as may be assigned by the President/CEO.
We will give interview preference to candidiates based in Colorado Springs, CO. The right fit for this team will need to be flexible enough to develop strategies that both build upon findings from ongoing analysis, and are in alignment with the organization’s strategic plan direction. Must possess an adaptable attitude and be a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives. Must have the ability to work independently without close oversight, but also be a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside of the organization. Must have a sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
Compensation will be discussed during the interview process and will outlined on a separate letter of employment agreement.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Development DirectorJAARS, Inc.
- Waxhaw, North Carolina
- October 21
WriterFirst Liberty Institute
- Plano, Texas
- October 19
Executive Development Representative - HoustonThe Seed Company
- Houston, Texas
- October 12
Elementary School Teachers in China - Still Interviewing!Academics In Asia
- China, Not Assigned
- July 4
Food for Orphans
Based in Colorado Springs, CO, Food for Orphans, a tax deductible 501(c)3 charity, is recognized as an international leader in feeding orphans. In 2007, Food for Orphans was officially incorporated, with headquarters located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Our staff has experience and history in visiting orphan homes, seeking out orphan care projects in need, evaluating those projects, training orphan care providers, measuring the needs of orphans and projects, and sharing our advice with the providers. Food for Orphans supplies the fund More...