Director of Communications
The Family Action Council of Tennessee, Inc. (FACT) is seeking a mature, experienced Director of Communications to manage and carry out its communications needs. These needs include the creation, implementation, performance, maintenance, handling, and ongoing evaluation of communication strategies and plans, traditional print, radio and TV media, electronic mass communications such as websites, emails, e-newsletters, and social media, and general media relations.
FACT is a Christian nonprofit organization whose mission is to educate and equip Tennesseans and public officials to effectively promote and defend a culture that values the traditional family, for the sake of the common good. FACT’s advocacy arm, The Family Action of Tennessee, Inc. (Family Action), advocates for state and local legislation and public policy initiatives having the same goal. This position supports both organizations.
This full-time position is based at their main office in Franklin, TN (a Nashville suburb). Competitive compensation, dependent upon experience, is offered. Two weeks paid vacation (increasing over time), nine paid holidays, and four paid personal/sick days annually. No health insurance, retirement, or other benefits are offered, although FACT is studying the possible adoption of a health savings account and/or 401(k) plan.
Skill and Experience Requirements
The successful applicant must be adept at thinking and planning strategically regarding communication needs, initiatives, and programs; responding quickly to media requests and changing circumstances; timely creating and implementing various communications without supervision; developing and following through with individual components of specific communication plans; communicating verbally and in writing at a high level; and working cooperatively within a small team environment.
Applicants should have a minimum of three years of experience as a director of communications, or five years’ experience in a high level communications-related position within a communications or PR department or group. The applicant must be detailed, highly organized, and have excellent people skills. Substantial experience in utilizing social media tools for communication purposes is required. Experience with both Microsoft and Apple technology and software preferred but not mandatory.
The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, plus a generous amount of humor, flexibility, and humility, are important attributes for success in this position.
Note: Due to the extensive nature of the following list, it may be necessary at times to outsource, under the supervision of the Director of Communications, those responsibilities or portions of them designated by an asterisk. FACT currently uses an outside public relations/communications consultant for such purposes.
(a) Conceptual/strategic plans and initiatives
- Develop an overall communications plan for FACT
- Develop and implement communication plans and strategies to increase public awareness of FACT, enlarge FACT’s constituent and donor support, and acquire more “advocates” willing to communicate their support of public policy positions to others
- Create and implement specific communications initiatives
- Maintain and improve FACT’s “brand”
(b) Traditional print, radio, and TV media
- Expand reach of The FACT Report radio spot by finding more radio stations to carry it
- Develop relationships with radio station managers and talk show hosts, leading to more stations willing to provide PSA’s and/or discounted airtime to FACT and to have FACT’s President and other staff on their programs
- Create scripts for The FACT Report and PSA’s as needed
- Coordinate radio and TV interviews by FACT’s President and other staff
- Prepare and disseminate press releases*
- Edit and disseminate guest editorials (op-eds)*
- Make press releases and guest editorials known to key media contacts to stimulate their publication and/or interview opportunities
- In conjunction with FACT’s President, initiate and respond to press inquiries
- In conjunction with FACT’s President, develop information and materials for media interviews
(c) Website, e-newsletters, and emails
- Ensure website content is current and “fresh” through creation and posting of new content, editing and posting content provided by other staff and third parties, and removing old, outdated content*
- Compose and disseminate Updates, Action Alerts, event announcements and promotions, and other emails via email delivery system*
- Format and disseminate weekly e-newsletter by inserting substantive content provided by others and selecting and inserting appropriate graphics*
(d) Social media
- As part of an overall communications plan, develop a comprehensive social media plan for FACT, including its goals, strategy, tactics, timetables, and measurements of success, among other factors
- Maintain FACT’s Facebook page, including writing and posting new posts and adding other content to it
- Develop and implement strategies, including periodic campaigns, to increase Facebook “likes” and the level of interaction between FACT and Facebook users and online communities
- Develop Facebook ads as needed to promote FACT events and programs
- Create and send out engaging tweets and build Twitter following*
- Maintain FACT’s YouTube channel, including posting of videos and creating accompanying descriptions
- Initiate utilization of other social media outlets not currently being utilized
(e) General media relations
- Design and implement strategy to create a frequent and sustained visibility in the statewide press and build upon it
- Make known FACT’s positions on issues to the media
(f) Other responsibilities
- Coordinate and leverage communications prepared for one purpose that, either “as is” or after modification, may be suitable for other purposes
- Locate and select appropriate photographs and graphics to accompany communications; design and create individual graphics as needed*
- Design and create flyers, brochures, and other educational and promotional materials*
- Compose, or assist others in composing, surveys on issues, events, and programs
- Track and provide reports on the success of various communication tools and endeavors through analytics and other sources
- Coordinate written communications with donors and other constituents
- Develop, advise on, and oversee direct mail campaigns in support of events and programs, including campaign themes and messaging
- Along with other staff, monitor news stories and breaking developments relevant to FACT’s mission for the purpose of issuing press statements, a possible commentary, and FACT Report topics, among other uses
- Not a responsibility but beneficial: ability to shoot captivating photographs*
- Not a responsibility but beneficial: ability to shoot and edit short videos*
Qualified candidates should email their resume and any questions to DougBarth@factn.org. Candidates may provide additional information, including references and samples of their work product, as long as it accompanies their resume. Candidates not qualified will not be considered. More information about FACT can be found at www.FACTn.org.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
WriterFirst Liberty Institute
- Plano, Texas
- October 19
Executive Development Representative - HoustonThe Seed Company
- Houston, Texas
- October 12
Digital MarketerCRISTA Ministries
- Seattle, Washington
- October 4
Copywriter - EditorStonecroft Ministries
- Overland Park, Kansas
- September 30
Associate DirectorProvidence Ministries, Inc.
- Dalton, Georgia
- September 30
The Family Action Council of Tennessee, Inc.
The Family Action Council of Tennessee, Inc. is a Christian nonprofit organization whose mission is to educate and equip Tennesseans and public officials to effectively promote and defend a culture that values the traditional family, for the sake of the common good. More...