This position can be located anywhere in the US. It is an executive level fundraising position working with major donors.
Are you ready to use your Business Development and Sales Management Skills to see the Gospel spread in a mighty way to millions of people?
The Pocket Testament League is building the largest volunteer force for one-on-one Biblical evangelism in the history of the world. You may be the person to drive this growth. The VP of Ministry Advancement is responsible for resource recruitment and donor development to expand the work of the League to 100 countries in the next five years. Candidate will have high level leadership experience in the business world (i.e. CEO, EVP Sales, etc), looking to move from success to significance. The position requires International travel, superb relational selling skills, incredible challenges, and operational freedom. We are a virtual organization, so relocation is not necessary. Is God whispering to you to do something special for the Kingdom?
For over a century, The Pocket Testament League has grown from a single focus to various ministries in numerous countries. In 2002 PTL returned to its roots...getting people to read, carry and share the Word of God. Today, The Pocket Testament League is a virtual organization with a $2 million budget and a distributed team who work from their homes. The President works from Sacramento, the part-time Executive Director lives in Southern California, the webmaster is in Canada, the VP-Marketing is in Georgia. Accounting and receipting is outsourced to an accounting company in Pennsylvania. All done in a lean, effective and efficient manner.
The Vice President of Ministry Advancement plays an important leadership role in crafting the communication of the vision and connecting people and resources to that vision. He or she may likewise live anywhere but will work in close communication with the President, Mike Brickley, a former business CEO, and the Executive Director, Jim West. Mike Brickley, the President, functions as “Mr. Outside” plus provides the overarching leadership to The Pocket Testament League while Jim West, the Executive Director, is “Mr. Inside” providing the operational oversight for The Pocket Testament League. They function almost as one unit.
The Vice President of Ministry Advancement has the goal of taking current “reduced down to our essence” Pocket Testament League fund raising/friend raising efforts and creating a strategic funding plan.
The Pocket Testament League is moving past its present focus on the U.S. and China (it has a cooperative relationship with the Chinese government) to extend its ministry to 100 countries in the next five years. The new strategic fund raising plan will fuel such efforts, and the Vice President of Ministry Advancement will play a key role in those enlarged ministry plans. This position is two-thirds being a fund raiser finding and working with major donors, and one-third giving leadership to the overall fund raising efforts, including the two regional development directors, and fund raising via direct mail, foundations, and eGiving.
Several times a month, the President has speaking engagements or makes presentations at churches or conferences, as do the regional development directors. If the Vice President of Ministry Advancement person is gifted in this area, he or she may on occasion be asked to preach or speak, sharing the Word and even leading people to Christ.
It is the goal of The Pocket Testament League through the leadership of the Vice President of Ministry Advancement and his or her team to triple or quadruple the budget within five years, going from under $2 million to $5-8 million by 2015. While ambitious, this is realistic for a Vice President of Ministry Advancement with the right gifting. The mission is sound, focused and attractive, and with the right key leadership in place, the opportunity is immense.
The responsibilities of the VP of Ministry Advancement will include.
- Creation of a five year strategic and tactical plan for fund raising through various methods.
- Recruiting, supervising, and training of all staff involved in fund raising, branding and communications.
- Developing and managing the relationships with a portfolio of major donors and foundations, and oversight of the regional development directors and their donor portfolios. Most of these relationships will be developed by the candidate.
- Planning of special events to connect The Pocket Testament League with existing and new donors.
- Providing the spiritual direction to those at The Pocket Testament League involved in fund raising, marketing and communications.
- Travel may be as much as 50% of the time, so one’s personal life should be able to accommodate this. If one’s spouse is beneficial to the VP-Advancement’s role, assisting in ministry, then she or he might also be involved in such travel.
Skills and Expertise
- This person must be effective and hands on in brand messaging and implementation while working through a distributed team. This person will be active in a local church and have a vibrant, mature personal walk with the Lord, including a strong Bible reading component.
- Strategic thinker and an excellent communicator (both written and verbal)
- The candidate must be able to personally develop and manage a caseload of 50 or more new donors, who may have an interest in the organization.
- Strong organizational skills and be able to lead a small team of advancement staff to develop and implement the funding strategies of the organization. This could include major gift solicitation, planned giving, foundations, direct mail (appeal letters), eMarketing and special events. New programs may also be initiated so the VP of Ministry Advancement must be able to craft and implement innovative methods and future strategies for resourcing The Pocket Testament League commensurate with the vision of the organization.
- Candidates should have a BA/BS or equivalent degree.
- The selected candidate will have a demonstrated history of leading a group of professionals, making a major difference in the training, cohesiveness and professionalism of the team and achieving remarkable results.
- Adept with using a contact management system like GoldMine or ACT. Additionally the person should be effective with using Excel spreadsheets and Power Point, as well as knowing budgeting and project management.
- The candidate will not find travel a problem and hopefully will enjoy it. This person must be a high energy person who takes pleasure in “the hunt” for new donors as well as lifting the existing donors to higher giving levels. Travel could be as much as 50% of the time, be accomplished in a financially modest manner, and will likely include evenings and weekends.
- The candidate must have a passion for sharing the Gospel. Additionally he or she will exhibit spiritual leadership and maturity, sound judgment, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to motivate and manage a small group of creative professionals.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Chief Development OfficerForgotten Children Worldwide
- Bluffton, Indiana
- September 21
Executive DirectorVictory Ministries of Alaska
- Sutton, Alaska
- September 8
Overseas University English TeachersAcademics In Asia
- China, China
- September 7
Manager of Digital GivingAmerican Bible Society
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- September 1
Elementary School Teachers in China - Still Interviewing!Academics In Asia
- China, Not Assigned
- July 4
The Pocket Testament League
The Pocket Testament League has, since 1893, motivated Christians to read, carry and share the Word of God. Started as the vision of a teenage girl named Helen Cadbury, The Pocket Testament League provides resources to help believers develop a lifestyle of biblical discipline and personal evangelism. The ministry also encourages people to support others who are sharing their faith, through a unique sponsorship program in which sponsors actually receive feedback from those they sponsor showing how lives are being changed. More...