Association of Baptists for World Evangelism (www.abwe.org) -
ABWE is an unaffiliated, independent Baptist missions agency providing like-minded churches with vital services to expedite their Great Commission Ministry.
We serve local churches by providing administrative oversight and training for the missionaries that they recommend to us. This includes member care, financial coordination, team building, professional training and general administration.
Our vision is to carry out world evangelism resulting in national church planting movements that launch mission movements to the glory of God.
Job Summary: ABWE is seeking a Communications Specialist and Message Editor to write, prepare and/or review articles to be used for
Message, a 36-page quarterly magazine sent to 40,000 people in the U.S., Canada and around the world. The magazine seeks to tell the stories of ABWE and its missionaries, from tales of triumph on the mission field to sagas of our latest humanitarian
outreach efforts. As Message Editor, this person will develop an editorial calendar and manage the magazine’s controlled-circulation model by spearheading regular subscription appeal mailings.
Other major responsibilities will include working closely with members of the Communications Team to write and review corporate communications material, provide creative consultation for marketing and media projects, and assist in developing ABWE’s brand
through social media channels. This person may also be asked to train employees in best practices (in areas of writing, storytelling, PR, marketing, etc.) or to travel to cover newsworthy events.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as Message Editor; identify and generate engaging magazine and web content under the supervision of the Director of Strategic Communications.
- Maintain annual editorial calendar for Message; communicate and develop relationships with missionaries, Area Directors and Regional Administrators to cultivate story ideas.
- Oversee production and printing of Message. Maintain consistent online news coverage on www.abwe.org and new Message website.
- Publicize Message through mass emails, social media efforts, advertising, etc.
- Oversee Message subscription list management and initiate regular subscription appeal mailings.
- Assist the Director of Strategic Communications in writing corporate internal and external communication pieces (including but not limited to ABWE.org, capital campaigns, social media, marketing initiatives and special projects).
- Develop strategies for sharing organizational news in innovative ways, including staying current on new technologies and social media tools.
- Help maintain ABWE social media sites.
- Train ABWE staff to share stories that benefit the organization’s communication and branding goals.
- Maintain news section on ABWE Central.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or related Field.
- Minimum Prior Experience Required: Three (3) or more years of related work experience, preferably at a magazine or newspaper.
- Excellent project management and time-management skills.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills.
- Superb writing and editing skills; knowledge of AP Style.
- Five writing samples (including relevant projects).
- Joy-filled faith rooted in Jesus Christ.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Self-motived and takes initiative.
- Able to work under deadline pressure.
- Demonstrates consistent follow-through.
- Able to work alone or in a team environment.
- Demonstrates computer proficiency and is a skilled user of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Able to travel as necessary.
Christian Life: As an employee of ABWE you are an important member of a Christian organization. All staff members are Christian missionaries viewed as ministry staff and are required to participate in chapel services. Because of the nature
of our ministry it is absolutely necessary that you possess and maintain a lifestyle that is above reproach. All ABWE employees must:
- Be a current and active member and/or regular attendee of a local, Bible-believing church.
- Be able to fully support ABWE’s core values and ministry philosophy.
- Be a participant in morning staff prayer time.
Application Instructions: In order to be considered for this position, please send your resume, cover letter,a one-page faith story (testimony) including the name of your local church, and five writing samples (including relevant projects) to: