CHURCH MINISTRY DESCRIPTION
To assist the Ops Department and the Staff Accountant through handling various functions related to statistical analysis, scheduling, accounting, membership information, HR, and general administration.
This position helps the church fulfill its ministry goals by:
A. Providing accurate, timely information to Church leaders and members so that they can use it to carry out their group and individual ministries and be encouraged in their stewardship.
B. Making sure that all financial transactions are done properly and in a timely manner so that those involved in various ministries can carry out their responsibilities free of accounting concerns.
C. Making sure that the use of the facilities is managed so that all ministries and groups can use them with maximum benefit to all.
A. Statistical Analysis
1. Maintain accurate records in the data software to be able to provide statistical information about membership, contributions, attendance, involvement, and other pertinent quantifiers.
2. Analyze the statistical information to provide trends and perspectives that identify the health of the Church and compare goals to actual accomplishments; provide reports that communicate the analysis to those who need the information.
1. Maintain the scheduling software by managing the users’ rights, maintaining the list of resources, and reviewing all upgrades for effectiveness.
2. Approve use requests, help with scheduling registration use, and maintain the weekly setup report.
3. Be the resident expert in the use of the scheduling program (currently provided by ServiceU) and train others on its use.
C. Accounting Functions
1. Perform general tasks, as assigned, associated with the bookkeeping of a large church as an assist to the Staff Accountant, making sure that all activities and records are operationally sound. This may include:
a. Contribution Processing (Accounts Receivables)
b. Accounts Payables
c. Bank Reconciliations
d. Assisting the offering counters
e. Report Generation
f. Fill in for Staff Accountant or Accounting Assistant as needed
D. Record Management
1. Maintain contribution information and records in a complete and organized manner. This will include:
a. Entering contribution information into the contributions software (currently Shelby).
b. Printing and distributing contribution statements.
c. Write thank you letters as needed for memorials, large gifts and gifts in kind.
d. Processing and tracking memorial and designated gifts.
2. Maintain membership information and records in a complete and organized manner. This will include:
a. Administering membership software – setting it up, making changes/improvements, having it linked to other resources as needed.
b. Training staff how to use this technology and information to enhance their ministry effectiveness.
c. Entering and updating members’ personal information and involvement records.
3. Assist with the maintenance of personnel records as requested.
E. Office Functions
1. Organize, set up and update department files and records as needed.
2. Organize department supplies and order as needed.
F. Perform other related responsibilities and/or assist other staff as assigned by the Staff Accountant, Administration Director and/or Executive Director of Operations.
A. Directly responsible to the Staff Accountant. Answerable and subject to the authority of the Administration Director, Executive Director of Operations, Senior Pastor and Elder Board.
B. Not responsible for supervising any other employees.
C. Works closely with other Accounting Department staff and volunteers in performing assigned and requested tasks.
D. Assists and/or works with all other Church paid and volunteer staff in providing personnel and membership information and in training them how to use Shelby.
A. The Accounting Assistant will be a full-time, non-exempt, hourly employee. The normal work week will be 40 hours Monday through Friday (scheduled as needed).
B. Remuneration including wages and full health benefits, will be set, reviewed and modified by the Leadership Team.
C. The Accounting Assistant is expected to be regularly involved in the Church through attendance, involvement in connection groups and serving.
D. The Accounting Assistant is expected to conduct himself/herself on the job in such a way that would be supportive of the beliefs of the church.
The Accounting Assistant must be an adult and must have:
A. A minimum of 5 years of experience in office, organizational or general accounting work, preferably in a non-profit setting.
B. Demonstrated a high level of knowledge and technical skills in the following:
1. Accounting. (accounts receivable, accounts payable, bank reconciliations, payroll, etc.)
2. Computer operation. (Proficient in working with web-based programs, scheduling software (EventU preferred), accounting software (Shelby preferred), Microsoft Excel and Word, etc.)
3. Statistical documentation and analysis.
C. Ability to work well with other staff members in a supportive role.