Organization: Large Christian Church
Organization's Mission: To be a people of faith who seek the heart of God through worshipping, witnessing, and sharing the love of Christ (God’s son) with the world.
The controller will be reporting to the chief financial officer (CFO), and will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. As the number-two executive to the CFO, the Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the Church Council and Finance and Audit Committee and will work closely with the senior leadership team.
The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations of a budget of $6 million and supervise a team of 2 staff members - including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, contribution processing, payroll, and financial reporting. The Controller will ensure that the organization has the systems and procedures in place to support effective ministry implementation and to receive clean audits. The Controller will work closely with ministry leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures, but also to explore how the finance function can support ministry operations.
Finance and Accounting Leadership
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Achieve budget objectives by scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions.
- Coordinate all audit activity.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of the organization's financial status.
- Prepare special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Assist leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the CFO in engaging the board’s Finance and Audit Committee around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting; continuously collaborate with ministry leaders to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- This is an extraordinary opportunity for a mature leader with seven to ten years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders. - S/he will ideally have experience in a large church that has multiple programs.
- Other qualifications include:
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to the organization's mission
- A proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the CFO, the responsibility
- Minimum of a BA; CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and
analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and nonprofit accounting.
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing
relationships with software vendors; solid knowledge of accounting and reporting software,
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; the foresight and ability
to delegate accordingly.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation
versus simple reporting.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data,
including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners.
To apply, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)Serge
- Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
- October 14
Customer ServiceBayville Chemicals.net
- Deer Park, New York
- October 11
Senior Accounting ManagerTri Star Sports & Entertainment Group
- Nashville, Tennessee
- October 7
Accounting ManagerFirst Baptist Church Atlanta
- Atlanta, Georgia
- October 3
- Winchester, Virginia
- August 9