Organization: Dyersburg-Dyer County Union Mission - Non-Profit Christian Charity
Location: 213 Cedar Street West, Dyersburg, TN 38024
Mail: P.O. Box 179, Dyersburg, TN 38025
Employee Type: Full-Time
Position: Halls Youth Club and Mission Camp Director
Salary and Benefits: Will be discussed with candidates.
Post Date: January 24, 2013
Experience: Any combination of experience and education that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position and its essential job functions will be considered.
Mission Statement: Through healthy relationships with positive role models, we strive to help kids develop a relationship with Jesus by enabling and encouraging each child to grow spiritually, academically, socially, physically, and economically.
Supervisor/Contact: Neal Chatham, Executive Director, Dyersburg-Dyer County Union Mission
The job has two main responsibilities. As Director of New Life Youth Camp, the person will be responsible for delivery of all aspects of a six week summer camp for at-risk children and youth from our ministry area that have completed grades 1 through 12. Many of them come from minority homes. The job involves organizing, directing, and supervising all camp program activities, volunteers, and staff for New Life Youth Camp. The Mission has been operating this camp for 23 years. 40 – 50 campers will attend each week of camp. Over the six weeks you will work with over 250 different campers. Responsibilities concerning year round oversight of camp and retreat center are detailed below. As Director of Mission Youth Club in Halls, the person will develop a ministry to at-risk children and youth in grades 1 through 12 for that northern Lauderdale County community. The Mission plans to build a new ministry center in Halls during the next two years. This position will be supervised by the Executive Director of the Union Mission. A Youth Committee will provide assistance. This is a management position that requires extensive planning, organization, record keeping, and decision-making.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop, organize, implement, manage, and evaluate of the New Life Youth Camp and Halls Mission Youth Club program working in collaboration with the Executive Director, Youth Ministry Team, and Youth Committee.
- Lead and train others to lead all phases of camp activities including Bible studies and worship.
- Develop effective written program plans for Halls Mission Youth Club and Summer Camp Program in consultation with Youth Committee and Executive Director.
- Assure that equipment and retreat center facilities are safely and properly prepared and maintained for use by program participants and staff.
- Maintain accurate detailed financial records; operate within approved budget; and make recommendations for future budget appropriations.
- Prepare reports on all aspects of the ministry programs as required.
- Promote New Life Youth Camp and Mission Youth Club in the community; and maintain positive parent, public, and community relations.
- Work with local and visiting youth groups who come on mission trips to volunteer at camp.
Basic Qualifications – Experience and Knowledge
- A professing Christian with good moral character who passes a background check satisfactory to the Mission. He or she should be comfortable integrating and communicating personal faith into daily life and work in a positive and enthusiastic way.
- Administrative camp management experience with direct accountability for program delivery and oversight of the work of others is a plus.
- Experience in program design, youth development, or volunteer management is a plus.
- Strong budget management, analysis, and reporting skills.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to live and work in and around our ministry area.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including some weekends and evenings.
- A valid driver’s license, safe driving record acceptable to the Mission and its insurance company, and access to reliable transportation.
- Belief in the mission and values of the Union Mission and its youth ministries. Statement of Purpose: The Dyersburg-Dyer County Union Mission is a Christian para-church organization which provides holistic ministry to adults and children, striving to help mentally, physically, socially and spiritually through RESCUE ministries.
- A working knowledge of laptop computers with word processing skills is required.
Education and Training
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from seminary/Bible college training with emphasis on youth ministry with experience and background in camping, recreation, education or other relevant Christian youth ministry development field is preferred. Any equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position and its essential job functions may be considered.
- Certification in 1st Aid/CPR, Wilderness 1st Aid and any outdoor recreational sport is a plus.
- Lifeguard status is preferred due to water activities at camp. A group of lifeguards must be recruited for the six weeks of camp.
- The job will at times require physical manual labor and the ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects.
- Outdoor work in all types of seasonal weather is required.
- A working knowledge/ability or willingness to learn to use small equipment necessary to maintain a 50 plus acre camp located on a farm setting out in the country is essential. The position involves supervising the work of a part-time camp property maintenance employee. The camp property includes a small lake for swimming, zip-lining, canoeing/paddle boats/kayaks, and fishing. The property also includes areas for disc golf, recreations field, playground area, sand volleyball area, archery area, obstacle course, primitive tent camping, horse riding corral, and numerous hiking trails. Camp also has a rustic chapel amphitheater. The terrain is hilly.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Mission and employee and is subject to change by the Mission as the needs of the Mission and requirements of the job change.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of Youth, Family and Small Group MinistriesEagle River Presbyterian Church
- Avon, Colorado
- October 20
Christian Financial Radio/TV Co-HostPrivate Profile
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- October 19
General Secretary/Executive DirectorInternational Ministerial Fellowship
- Excelsior, Minnesota
- October 14
- Felton, California
- October 13
Executive Development Representative - HoustonThe Seed Company
- Houston, Texas
- October 12
Dyersburg-Dyer County Union Mission
A Christian non-profit charitable organization which provides holistic ministry to adults and children, striving to help mentally, physically, socially and spiritually. We are a member of the Association of Gospel Rescue Missions. We operate an after-school and summer ministry to at-risk children and youth.Our ministry includes a Christian youth camp. We offer multiple types of assistance to families including food, hot meals, clothing, and utility/rent assistance. We operate thrift stores and have ministry centers in two towns.More...