The Salvation Army: Eastern Pennsylvania & Delaware Division
Divisional Director of Development
The Salvation Army (The Army) is an International, Evangelical Christian Church dedicated to providing individuals worldwide with spiritual, physical, social and emotional support. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination. Its message is based on the Bible and its ministry is motivated by the love of God. William Booth, and his wife Catherine, founded The Salvation Army in 1865 to serve London’s worst poverty-stricken districts. Today The Salvation Army focuses on mission-driven programs and service delivery designed to meet the needs of each local community. These programs include human service programs including, homeless projects, feeding programs, pre-school and after school care programs, shelters, disaster relief, senior programs, as well as The Salvation Army ministerial activities.
The Eastern Pennsylvania & Delaware Division is in the Eastern Territory, one of the four U.S. geographic service areas. The Eastern Pennsylvania & Delaware Division Headquarters (DHQ) is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Division is the administrative unit that oversees 52 Community Centers, Social Service Programs, Emergency Disaster Services, and 163 Service units providing support and outreach to thousands of people annually throughout Eastern Pennsylvania, including the Greater Philadelphia area and Delaware. The Divisional Director of Development will be based at the Divisional Headquarters building located in Center City Philadelphia and will oversee the Eastern Pennsylvania and Delaware Division’s strategic and annual fundraising operations.
The Position: Divisional Director of Development
The Eastern Pennsylvania & Delaware Division has an operating budget of $89 million with $12 million+ in fundraising goals. Funding sources include government contracts, grants (foundations and other), and donations from businesses, individuals and churches, as well as other fund raising efforts that contribute to the individual budgets for local or program budgets. The 2011 the total direct public support received (inclusive of contributions, gifts in kind, and special events) was $30 million. Reporting to the Divisional Commander (equivalent to the CEO of the Division), the Divisional Director of Development will be responsible for the Division’s total development program, including the management of department staff, establishing and leading fundraising and communications strategies and goals across all fundraising disciplines; and supporting the greater Philadelphia operations, including social service programs, and all corps and service units throughout the Division to achieve their fundraising, communications, and board development goals.
S/he will bear the primary responsibility for collaborating with and managing direct reports in the 25-member Development Department that includes: Associate Director of Development, Director of Direct Marketing, Director of Marketing and Communications, Campaign Consultant(s) and other Fundraising/PR Consultants, Resource Development Managers and other development staff working across the Division, and an Administrative Assistant / Office Manager.
The Qualified Candidate
The Salvation Army Eastern Pennsylvania & Delaware Division seeks a seasoned fundraising executive with a minimum of 10 years experience in a highly productive and proven development and communications program within the nonprofit sector. Preference is given to those who have served in a faith-based organization and possess a working knowledge of the Eastern Pennsylvania and Delaware philanthropic communities. While it could be helpful, it is not necessary to have prior experience working within The Salvation Army. It is imperative that this individual fully embrace the mission of The Salvation Army. The Director will be an expert at staff management and leadership, visionary, and goal-oriented with demonstrated ability to lead the Development Department of The Salvation Army and support direct reports in cultivating relationships with donors and other community stakeholders.
The successful candidate will also have:
- Career track record that shows stability with an organization and a demonstrated ability to develop, nurture and build relationships with diverse individuals resulting in increased levels of philanthropic support.
- Track record of success and ability to provide strategic direction across a variety of development areas/systems (e.g. direct mail, online, major gifts, grants development, planned giving, PR/marketing, campaigns, and board engagement).
- Demonstrated ability to set and achieve or exceed goals and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a complex environment, managing multiple projects and conflicting priorities and multiple stakeholders with varying degrees of decision-making authority.
- Skillful approach that evaluates options, resources and outcomes in light of the strategic plan of the Division, yet decisively takes action and creates urgency when needed.
- A communications and management style that exhibits the principles and values of The Army, as well as fosters team relationships and effectively communicates information.
- Ability to develop and implement an annual strategic development plan which takes in to account both The Army’s mission and its case for ongoing support.
- Advanced understanding of resource development systems and the professional knowledge necessary to achieve department objectives.
- Willingness to travel regularly throughout the Division about 20% of the time since most administrative and management meetings will be held at the Division Headquarters in Philadelphia.
- A strong commitment to know and understand The Army’s history, mission, and structure, as well as its services, policies and procedures.
- Effective interpersonal, written and oral communications skills; proficiency in Word and Excel, as well as experience with donor tracking and/or database software is preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, with Master’s Degree strongly preferred. Concentrations/majors in fund raising, organizational / non-profit management, marketing, public relations, business, or related field of study is advantageous. CFRE or other relevant advanced training or degree preferred.
The Salvation Army offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package.
This search is being managed by Heather Eddy, CFRE, President and COO, Alford Group Executive Search. Interested candidates should apply online at http://ag-es.kintera.org/applicant. No applications will be accepted via email. Questions may be addressed to Whitney Wade at firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
Alford Group Executive Search (www.ag-es.com) is a retained search firm dedicated to providing recruitment services of exceptional quality and strengthening the not-for-profit community through professional staffing solutions.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Vice President of DevelopmentKeystone Consulting
- Knoxville, Tennessee
- October 17
Discipleship Home ManagerCovered Bridge Therapeutic Communities
- St Johnsbury, Vermont
- October 16
Executive DirectorQuiet Waters Outreach
- Tigard, Oregon
- October 8
The Greatest Journey Marketing Manager, Operation Christmas ChildSamaritan's Purse
- Boone, North Carolina
- October 6
Major Gift Officer and Capital Campaign Director - The Salvation ArmyAlford Executive Search
- Syracuse, New York
- October 3
Alford Group Executive Search
Alford Group Executive Search, a retained search firm, is a subsidiary of The Alford Group, one of the largest and most respected consulting firms working with not-for-profit organizations across the country. Established in 1979, The Alford Group has served more than 2,700 not-for-profit organizations nationwide through its offices in Chicago, Seattle, and Boston.
In response to demand for professional assistance in recruiting and placing top talent in not-for-profit organizations, The Alford Group established a new se More...