The Salvation Army Metropolitan Division
Director of Corporate Relations
The Salvation Army is an International, Evangelical Christian Church dedicated to providing individuals worldwide with spiritual, physical, social and emotional support. Its message is based on the Bible and its ministry is motivated by the love of God.
William Booth, and his wife Catherine, founded The Salvation Army in 1865 to serve London’s worst poverty-stricken districts. Today The Salvation Army focuses on mission-driven programs and service delivery designed to meet the needs of each local community.
These programs include human service programs such as homeless projects, feeding programs, pre-school and after school care programs, shelters, disaster relief, senior programs, as well as The Salvation Army ministerial activities.
The Metropolitan Division is located in The Salvation Army’s Central Territory, which is one of four territories in the USA. The Metropolitan Division Headquarters (DHQ) is located in Chicago, IL and is the administrative unit that directs 31 Corps in the
metropolitan area of Greater Chicago, northern Illinois and northwestern Indiana. The Metropolitan Division provides programs and services to hundreds of thousands of people annually throughout its service area. The Director of Corporate Relations will be
based in Chicago at Divisional Headquarters located at 5040 N. Pulaski Ave.
The Metropolitan Division’s operating budget is approximately $67 million. Funding sources include government contracts, grants (foundations and other), and donations from businesses, individuals and churches, as well as other fund raising efforts that
contribute to the individual budgets for each area. The Metropolitan Division’s current corporate revenue accounts for approximately $260,000 of the total Division’s $14 million Development budget. Based on the local market, leadership is confident
there is tremendous opportunity for growth, both in terms of numbers of corporate partners and sponsorships/gifts.
The Opportunity: Director of Corporate Relations
Reporting to the Executive Director of Development and Communications, the Director of Corporate Relations is responsible for directing all philanthropic and volunteer relations with the Chicagoland corporate community. This focus includes strengthening
current relationships in the Chicagoland business community, and providing the strategic and operational follow-through to connect with new corporate partners. The Director will cultivate and strengthen corporate relationships with potential to provide The
Army with financial, volunteer hour, and in-kind support to deliver its mission and services. The Director will also supervise 2.5 FTE staff; the Corporate Manager who oversees the annual Christmas kettles; the Corporate Relations Assistant, and a part-time
The Qualified Candidate
The Director of Corporate Relations must have the ability to build strong relationships with The Army’s officers, staff and the Chicagoland corporate community. This position will have a collaborative partnership with the Executive Director of Development
and Communications and must be able to effectively assess the current corporate philanthropy efforts and build a strategic program utilizing best practices and proven experience.
Specific Requirements Include:
- Passion for The Salvation Army’s mission and ability and willingness to promote the mission.
- Ability to be faith-conversant and comfortable with the Spiritual environment within which The Army operates.
- Past experience developing and managing a fundraising department budget.
- A demonstrated ability to manage staff, projects, priorities and programs in a constantly changing environment.
- An interpersonal style that builds effective and meaningful relationships with corporate contacts.
- A decision making approach that evaluates options, resources and outcomes in light of the departmental goals and objectives.
- A communication and management style that exhibits the principles and values of The Army, as well as fosters team relationships and effectively communicates information.
- A traceable pattern of donors being migrated toward enhanced levels of giving.
- A Bachelor’s Degree, with advanced training, certification or degree preferred.
- A minimum of four years’ experience in a non-profit organization with at least two years of demonstrated success in Corporate Relations programs and/or equivalent Salvation Army experience that would lead to success with corporate donors.
- Candidates with supervisory experience are preferred.
This position offers a competitive salary with generous benefits including the assignment of an automobile for both business and personal use.
The Salvation Army is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant
criteria. Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
The search is being managed by Heather A. Eddy, CFRE, President and COO of Alford Group Executive Search. To apply, candidates should submit their cover letter and resume and complete the online application at
No applications will be accepted via email. Questions may be addressed to Laura Weinman at
Alford Group Executive Search (www.ag-es.com) is a retained search firm dedicated to providing recruitment services of exceptional quality and strengthening the not-for-profit community through professional staffing solutions.